This is the heartfelt story about a lonely boy, new to the country and overwhelmed by the language, who finds companionship in the most unlikely of forms: an imaginary friend. This friend, The Magician of Primary, guides Louie through the stresses of home life and the alienation of school life, and introduces him to a world of acceptance, tolerance, and social fluency. Louie’s world, once filled with Anti-Magic Toxin, is now quite magical indeed, as Louie is taught to believe in magic, miracles, and himself. Written by a now-thriving high school student about to begin his promising college career, the Magician of Primary is an inspirational tale to all, but especially to ESL students searching for success and acceptance in a foreign place.
The definition of b’noodles
"B'noodles is a unique and cool word that means unique and cool. I made it up because it's uniquely cool and fun to say." --Gio, A SCARY SCENE IN A SCARY MOVIE
A SCARY SCENE IN A SCARY MOVIE is b’noodles
“Blackstone keeps things fresh with insight and wit... achingly real...PRETTY DARN B'NOODLES.” -- Booklist
“Quirky and surprisingly upbeat, it’s Rene’s voice laughing at himself and yet taking his needs seriously that will lure readers into his head and into his heart.”
--School Library Journal
"Charmingly heartbreaking...filled with moments that will make you literally laugh out loud. The contrast in style between Rene's anxious explanations and Gio's chilled-out view of the world draws you into their equally troubled lives completely.”
"Blackstone makes a bold and idiosyncratic debut with this boisterous novel. Honest...humorous...compelling."
"Many teens will recognize someone they know in Rene and gain some understanding of the kid who does not fit in." --VOYA (Voice of Youth Advocates)
Theme: Coraline by Automattic.
- The Magician of Primary
- FROM BEDSIDE by Fred Goldstein
- THE PULL OF GRAVITY by Gae Polisner
- Review from Booklist
- Review from School Library Journal
- Chapter One, A SCARY SCENE IN A SCARY MOVIE
- Bookanista Review: Something Like Hope
- A SCARY SCENE IN A SCARY MOVIE Giveaway!!!!
- A FEW QUIRKS by Stasia Ward Kehoe
- POSSESSION author Elana Johnson: Me and My Routines
- My quirks, my “things,” my obsessions
- Publishers Weekly Review!
- Bookanista Thursday: Bad Taste in Boys
- Teen Author Summer Reading Nights
- LIKE MANDARIN by Kirsten Hubbard
- NINTH WARD by Jewell Parker Rhodes
- Bookanista Thursday Review: EDGES by Lena Roy
- Bookanista Thursday Review: THE HATE LIST
- I Love Your Guts: Part 3
- I Love Your Guts: Part 2